Permanent Account Number aka PAN card can be said as one of the most important proof document in India where it should be needed to open a bank account or for any other verification purpose.
PAN card is a valid proof of identity in India and it can be issued to citizens of India (including minors), non-resident Indians (NRIs), and even foreign citizens. Here are basic and easy steps to apply for PAN card online :-
Documents need to Apply for PAN Online :-
Identity proof documents (one of):
Elector’s photo identity card
Ration card having photograph of the applicant
Aadhaar card issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India
Photo identity card issued by the Central Government or State Government or a Public Sector Undertaking
Pensioner Card having photograph of the applicant
Central Government Health Scheme Card or Ex-servicemen Contributory Heath Scheme photo card
Certificate of identity in original signed by a Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councillor or a Gazetted Officer, as the case may be
Bank certificate in original on letter head from the branch (along with name and stamp of the issuing officer) containing duly attested photograph and bank account number of the applicant
Age proof document (one of) :
copy of the following documents of not more than three months old electricity bill
landline telephone or broadband connection bill
consumer gas connection card or book or piped gas bill
bank account statement
depository account statement
credit card statement
copy of post office pass book having address of the applicant
passport of the spouse
voter ID card
latest property tax assessment order
domicile certificate issued by the Government
Aadhaar card issued by the UIDAI
allotment letter of accommodation issued by the Central Government or State Government of not more than three years old
property registration document
certificate of address signed by a Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councillor or a Gazetted Officer
employer’s certificate in original
Don’t Miss: Dhanush, India’s first long-range artillery gun, to undergo trial in Jaisalmer’s Pokhran next week
Proof of date of birth (one of):
birth certificate issued by the Municipal Authority or any office authorised to issue Birth and Death Certificate by the Registrar of Birth and Deaths or the Indian Consulate as defined in clause (d) of sub section (1) of section 2 of the Citizenship Act, 1955 (57 of 1955)
pension payment order
marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriages
domicile certificate issued by the Government
affidavit sworn before a magistrate stating the date of birth
Cost to get an PAN Card Online :-
Indian citizens, applying for a new PAN card costs Rs. 116 (plus online payment charges or around Rs. 5). The fee is Rs. 1,020 for foreign citizens (with around Rs. 5 as online payment charges).
Process to Apply for PAN Card Online :-
- You can apply for a PAN card online either via NSDL or UTITSL websites. Both have been authorised to issue PAN cards in India. For this tutorial, we will show you how to apply for a PAN card via the NSDL website.
- On the page linked in the previous step, you will see a form titled Online PAN application. Under Application Type select New PAN – Indian Citizen (Form 49A). If you’re a foreign national, select New PAN – Foreign Citizen (Form 49AA).
- Select the category of PAN card you need. For most people, this will be Individual.
- Now fill in your personal details such as name, date of birth, mobile number, etc., enter the captcha code and click Submit.
- Now you have three choices — authenticate via Aadhaar to avoid sending any documents, scan documents and upload them via e-sign, or to physically submit documents.
- We chose to authenticate via Aadhaar as all it needs is an OTP and payment. If you don’t want that option, the steps for the other two are similar except the part where you have to send documents.
- Enter all details such as Aadhaar number (optional) as requested on screen, and click Next.
- This step requires you to fill in your name, date of birth, address, etc. Do that, and click Next.
- Now you will hit the banana skin that’s the AO code (Assessing Officer code). This looks complicated but is actually quite simple. Just select one of the four choices at the top — Indian Citizens, NRI and Foreign Citizens, Defence Employees, or Government Category.
- Then under Choose AO Code, select your state and area of residence. Wait for a few seconds and you will see a full list of AO codes in the box below. Carefully scroll and look for the category that applies best to you. There are different categories for companies, non-salaried people, government servants, private sector employees, etc. If you don’t know which category you fall under, contact a chartered accountant to find out. Click on the correct AO code and it’ll be auto-filled in the form above. Click Next.
- Select the documents you have submitted as proof of age and residence from the drop-down menu, fill in required details, and then click Submit.
At last you will be redirected to the payment page and you can choose one of many common online payment methods. The fee for PAN card applications for Indian citizens is Rs. 115.90 inclusive of all taxes. A small fee is added to this as online payment charges so the total works out to around Rs. 120.
Post payment you will be asked to authenticate via Aadhaar OTP, or submit documents via e-sign, or to physically send the documents to NSDL. email acknowledgement from NSDL about your application and your PAN card will be couriered to you once the application has been processed. Keep the acknowledgement number for the safety for further procedings.